Friday, February 11, 2011

AN UPDATE ON THE SEARCH FOR THE PERFECT BISCUIT

If  you read my last post, you know that I was biscuit baking.  I was in search for the perfect biscuit.  The biscuit I ended up with was delicious, but included hard-to-find ingredients (White Lily Flour) and "cutting the shortening/butter into the flour, which can be dicey (pun intended).
My niece, Carol Brown, who lives in Richmond, Virginia, and is currently training to be a pastry chef (my dream job), challenged me with a biscuit recipe of her own.  I think I will feature this recipe as an alternative to my other "esoteric biscuit."  It is easier, and the end result is delicious!  I might add a teaspoon of sugar, but, I'll leave that decision up to you!  Happy biscuit baking!


Buttermilk Biscuits  (made with food processor)
2 cups all purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
6 tablespoons cold unsalted butter
2/3 cup cold buttermilk
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a sheet pan with parchment. (I didn't, and it was o.k.)
Briefly process dry ingredients in food processor fitted with a steel blade to combine.
Cut butter into thin slices and distribute on top of dry mixture. Using several long pulses, process until mixture resembles a coarse meal.
With food processor running, pour buttermilk through the feed tube. As soon as mixture holds together, turn it off.  (I added a smidge more buttermilk).
Pat into an 8 inch circle, 3/4 inches thick. Cut out your biscuits!
Bake for12-15 minutes (it was 15 for me), until golden brown on bottom and light gold on top.




No comments:

Post a Comment