Saturday, July 19, 2014

LOVE THOSE PANCAKES

I love pancakes.  When I was a kid, mom made them every Saturday morning for breakfast.  My little brother and I had fierce pancake eating contests, but the sticky-fingered loser never felt bad. A favorite place to eat in our hometown of Springfield, Missouri, was Aunt Martha's Pancake House.  Oh, what that woman could do with a flapjack!  Fifty-four years of hotcake flipping and the restaurant is still going strong!

I've continued the tradition of Saturday morning pancakes.  This A.M. I made them for my grandsons.  The second batch was on the way when this picture was taken!
Watching the butter slide off the hotcakes while waiting for more.  What well-mannered boys!
Here's my favorite basic recipe for pancakes.  It's from the classic Fannie Farmer Cookbook, Twelfth Edition, page 496.  I usually double the recipe.

GRIDDLECAKES
½ – ¾ cup milk
2 tablespoons melted butter
1 egg
1 cup white flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
2 tablespoons sugar
½ teaspoon salt

Beat the milk, butter, and egg lightly in a mixing bowl.  Mix the flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt and add them all at once to the first mixture, stirring just enough to dampen the flour.  (Add more milk if batter is too thick.)  Lightly butter or grease your pan or griddle, and set over moderate heat until a few drops of cold water sprinkled on the pan sizzle.  Bake until cakes are full of bubbles, then flip.  Brown the other side and then enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment